Personal Essay #2 – Jessica Young

I was 18, sitting in the back of a fire engine at the corner of two quiet neighborhood streets on a spring day. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and whenever you took a step water came out of the ground with a sharp squelch. I had completed my recruit firefighter course just two weeks earlier and was ripe with the smell of over-eagerness and desire to prove myself. Captain Rand was poised in the officer’s seat of the Engine and told us we were standing by for a police stand-off with a threat of multiple bombs in a house. Somewhere in my brain it registered that this was going to be an unusual situation that they hadn’t taught us about in Basic Fire Training.

From nearby I heard a pop, like a car back firing.

The radio exploded with the voice of dispatch ordering us in to the scene.

Code Red. Man Down. CPR in Progress.

We screamed into the yard of this little house with a neatly mown lawn - sirens blaring. The ambulance crew was there already, pounding on the chest of a blatantly dead man with his grey matter scattered across the yard.

I don’t actually know how long we were on scene before they loaded the dead man into the ambulance and rushed him to the hospital, but I remember climbing back into the truck afterward utterly confused and horrified at what I had just seen. The other firefighters in the truck laughed at the look on my face and told me about their first times doing CPR or picking up mutilated bodies. They just said “Call me if you need to talk… You’ll get used to it.'

They were right.

I’ve seen some horrific things in my line of work, but after a while they all blend together. I won’t describe it. The public at large pays their taxes so that people like me will spare them the details. After a while, seeing bad things happen to good people can really wear on a responder. There is a reason I go back to work shift after shift and it’s not just because driving fast and playing with lights and sirens is fun, although that is a contributing factor. I’m not here to tell you about the lifeless bodies of babies or how hard it is to come home from work some days, Chicago Fire and Ladder 49 do a good enough job of making us look like heroes. The thing that draws me to this line of work is every once in a while I get a glimpse of beauty that shines through in people’s most tragic moments.

I was transporting a woman home from the hospital once with end-stage COPD — one of those people who survives on bottled oxygen piped up their nose and yet still manages to have a cigarette in their hand 24/7. She was a sassy old lady with pink cheeks and her false teeth tinged yellow from cigarette smoke. She was the type of woman who would let you know exactly how life was and if it hurt your feelings, too bad. I was doing a routine assessment for a stable return-to-residence and went to listen to her lungs. I was shocked at the crackles I heard through my stethoscope, and without thinking remarked “Wow! You do have COPD.'

“Yeah, honey. I’m going home to die,' she replied with a matter-of-fact tone punctuated by the occasional wheeze.

Those words hung awkwardly in the air for a moment while I processed what this woman had just said to me. All I could manage was a quiet apology.

If that woman had held slightly less restraint she would have cuffed me upside the head. Instead she gave me a solid verbal lashing and with a “Listen up!' she read me the riot act on living my life to the fullest. In twenty minutes she gave me the best life advice I have ever received. She told me her only regret was letting her head get in the way of her heart one too many times. She said she wasn’t ready to die, she was afraid, and she was sad that she was not going to have more time with her family, but she was determined to go out with dignity. If she hadn’t been tethered to an oxygen tank, I suspect that geriatric spitfire would have gone out to the woods and let nature take its course. Instead, I took her up to her third floor apartment, helped her into her bed, and left her there in the company of her friends and family. I don’t remember her name, but I remember she was one of the only patient’s I’ve ever hugged before saying good-bye to. Rather than my typical, “Sorry to have met you this way' or “Hope you have a better day' sign-off, I wished her luck and had to fight back tears as I thanked her for her words.

There’s an over-used adage that instructors spout off when they’re telling you about customer service that goes something like, “people won’t remember what you said but they will remember the way you made them feel.“ What they leave out of that is you will also remember the way they made you feel. I still think back on the way that woman looked me in the eye and told me to be “unapologetically bad-ass.' Years later I quote her when I’m talking to young women who want to try something intimidating. I’ve said it to my three-year-old in simpler terms: be amazing and don’t say you’re sorry.

I’ve done CPR on more people than I can count, most of which are old people who have no chance of surviving. Hollywood seems to have driven this idea into the minds of Americans that death is unnatural and if you lightly compress the chest of a corpse they will wake up and thank you. As a result, I have spent much of my career crushing the lifeless bodies of fragile old women in an attempt to satisfy their families. On one such occasion, we were called to a modest home with small bedrooms and a tidy living room. As we walked into the house, we noted a frail old man sitting in his beat-up recliner. We worked the cardiac arrest to the fullest extent of our ability as he wandered about the kitchen and put a kettle on the stove. As expected, we did not save his wife and it was my duty to inform him of such. As I used the phrases taught to me in medic school “I’m sorry to have to tell you but your loved one has died,' the man looked me in the eye, sipped his tea, and with confusion in his voice whispered, “I was supposed to go first.'

Periodically, the universe delivers a sucker punch. This comment took me so off-guard I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. I had absolutely no way to help this man, but offered to call any family that he may have to come and be with him. He told me it was early, he would wait until his children had eaten breakfast then would call them to let them know what had happened. He would stay here with his wife, brush her hair, and get her dressed. The built-in consideration of that man will forever be imprinted on my memory. He didn’t want to bother anyone, he just wanted these last moments to take care of his wife. I realized in that moment, that I was witnessing a successful marriage. That despite their small home, these two people had built a happy, caring life together and that was a beautiful thing.

The man died a few weeks after his wife, quietly in bed. He was found the next day by his children.

I have a thousand stories, some are hilarious, inappropriate, and others heart breaking. At the end of the day, emergency services is more than blood, guts, and glory. Most of the time, I connect with very real people when they are just having bad days. I’ve transported more suicidal people to protect them from themselves than I have adrenaline-pumping traumas with bones sticking out. Occasionally, I get to do Hollywood-worthy rescues and once in a blue moon I save someone’s life. Honestly though, those memories fade to the back of my mind. What sticks with me and comes up when I’m sitting around a fire drinking beer with other medics and firemen is the moments that truly left me in awe of those around me. The woman who I knew for 20 minutes and couldn’t pick out of a crowd, but gave me the manifesto for my life. The man who thought nothing of himself and brushed his dead wife’s hair, just as he probably had for years. The stranger who held and sang to a little girl as her mom was cut out of a car.  The obese woman who thanked me for speaking to her like a real person.

After a while, the moments all blend together and the job becomes less about the thrill. Now, it’s the humanity that keeps me coming back day after day. Glimpses of sunshine on the gloomiest days. Shards of beauty amongst the broken pieces of tragedy.

11 thoughts on “Personal Essay #2 – Jessica Young

1. Lilia Lundquist

I really liked how you included multiple events, it was almost as though I was reading a handful of short stories. However, I did feel like your writing was a bit rushed, like you just told the climax of each story but denied us all the little details that would have allowed for a mental picture. I would have loved an image of the various people’s faces, what they were wearing, even their demeanor. It sounds like you have so many good stories it seems a bit unfair to deny us the beautiful and gory details that come with. You may think people get enough from dramatize TV shows, but I would appreciate a deep inside look from someone who gets to live out such a exciting career.

2. Delaney E Reece

Dear Jessica
    I want to start by saying I think you’re writing and your style are beautiful. I love the way you’ve used the stories of multiple people, and I would really like to hear more about the little girl being sung too, I think that could be expanded to make for some amazing imagery. With this in mind, I think there are occasions where you painted a wonderful picture, and there are other times where your image feels as though you couldn’t find the words to describe it at the moment. Addition to that, you left me as a reader wanting to know more, and wanting to hear more about these stories and your experiences, WHICH IS SO GOOD but I found myself let down at the ending with more questions than answers. I think expanding on your ideas further and going further with image use would rope readers in and keep them hanging on your every word and then some.
    Thank you so much for the work you do and the love you so obviously put into it.

3. Tometria Jackson

Wow Jessica, I was engaged with your story from the very beginning! Your first sentence set me up for what was to follow. Not only are you an unsung hero, but you’re a good writer too. You have an ease with words that made me feel like we were having a cup of coffee together and just chatting. Your language was descriptive and left me in no doubt of what you meant. You also used restraint and presented just enough detail to let us (readers) have a true sense of what it must be like to be an EMT.

I also liked your paragraph structure. It was pretty fast moving, just like your narrative and it added to the excitement of your tale. The way you ended your narrative had me blinking away a few tears. You emotionally connected with this reader, and I appreciated your sensitivity in sharing the heart-breaking experiences that you have encountered. All I can say is, keep writing!

4. Kelsey

Jessica,
    Beautiful words and a beautiful message! My dad is also in your line of work, and I appreciate so much the people that continue to look at awful things everyday and then find beauty in them. I think you had a good story to deliver, however I would have liked to hear more. It felt as if each little story was rushed. I liked that you had specific details, such as the details of the homes you’ve been to, but it felt like parts of the story were missing for sake of time or to make it seem like you were trying to keep it wrapped up in a nice little package. I know you said you don’t want to share all of the gory details, but I think sharing some of them would benefit your story!

5. Kait

As a reader, I thought your story was so absorbing and full of emotions, the perfect combination for writing! It’s beautiful the way you wrote about all of the people you’ve encountered, so many different feelings and the way they all have their own story you got to be a part of or witness it. The way you described what its like working as a firefighter has shown me a new point of view of what its like working as a firefighter.

6. Shana Waring

The introduction sets a nice scene which was peaceful and contradictory to most of your story. This continued to draw me to finish the story in entirety because I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I felt very present in the event with COPD patient. Your description was vivid and entertaining. This however left the other encounters in your story feeling a bit less engaging. More detail would have done the events better. I appreciate the moral you were expressing and would have found a greater attachment to the story with a little less rush through important events.

7. Courtney Kisner

First, thank you for all that you do at work. It sounds like it can be incredibly stressful, and obviously heart-wrenching. I loved your piece–it was vivid, and most of the essay I felt I was there, in the moment with you. I love how you have taken your stories with you, and were able to communicate these experiences so well. The one line, “If that woman had held slightly less restraint, she would have cuffed me upside the head,” confused me a bit–I might be missing something but that line caused me to break away to understand the visual you presented. I loved your descriptions of trying to do CPR on people who are already gone. I would suggest to just tighten your essay up a bit. You might need to expand each of the small stories, and find ways to lace them together a bit more smoothly. The stories were all so great, I’d hate for readers to be overwhelmed, get lost, or forget some of them.

8. Benjamin Hayward

This has a nice flow to the story, beginning, middle and end, with the ending referencing other parts of the story, tying it up in a nice bow. It was an interesting read, I did not need to stop to think about the tense or what happened. I’ve done the black bag patrol, so I understand where your story comes from.

9. nmfleming

I found your essay to be very engaging, I didn’t want to stop reading it. As Courtney wrote in her post that the line “If that woman had held slightly less restraint, she would have cuffed me upside the head,” confused her and I’d have to say I agree with her that sentence left me feeling confused. It broke the picture that you had painted sentences before. Like Courtney pointed out maybe we are just missing something, but that was the only problem I came across while reading about your adventure. Something else that I really enjoyed about your essay was your amount of detail, you didn’t add in all the details about what kind of things you had seen out on the job.

10. Brenden Couch

It is amazing where wisdom can come from, the timing can be startling as well, sometimes right when you need it. I have had similar experiences working in the medical field. I never did emergency medicine but I did do longterm care, sometimes immediately after the emergency care. There are people in life you meet only for a minute whom you are physically, mentally, weathier after only a short time. Thank you for sharing this it was quite touching.

11. Meghan Geary

“Periodically, the universe delivers a sucker punch.”
    Your writing really drew me in, I felt like I had been sucker punched too. Your attention to detail and descriptions were absolutely beautiful, I only wish there had been more to read. I would’ve loved to hear more on the whole, from beginning to end, but I suppose it was fast paced just like your job. I really appreciate how you drew the reader in at the beginning by starting right in the middle of some action, you didn’t beat around the bush. Thank you for sharing these experiences with us!